Presented by Weller Group
Apple has identified several critical vulnerabilities associated with iPhones, iPads, and Macs. The vulnerabilities have been classified as severe; attackers could deploy malware to these devices by just uploading an image or attachment without any interaction from the victim. Owners of Apple devices (whether for work or personal use) should immediately update them.
What Do You Need to Do?
Apple recommends that users immediately install the emergency security update on all Apple devices (e.g., iPhones, iPads, and Macs). Here’s how:
- On an iPhone or iPad. Manually check for iOS 16.6.1 and iPadOS 16.6.1 by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. Tap to install the update.
- On macOS devices. Navigate to the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and select System Preferences > Software Update > Upgrade Now.
Until the security update is installed across all devices, be cognizant of any sites or messaging/text services you’ve visited and any downloads you’ve made.
As always, follow these standard recommendations:
- Don’t download, accept, or execute files from untrusted sources.
- Don’t visit untrusted websites or follow links provided by untrusted sources.
- Evaluate read, write, and execute permissions on any newly installed software or applications.
- Ensure that you immediately install updates on your Apple devices.
Apple released a software update to macOS (MacBooks) and iOS (iPhones and iPads) to address critical vulnerabilities that could allow threat actors to compromise devices with “zero clicks” through uploading of images and attachments, which happens often in Safari, Messages, and WhatsApp. Apple has released iOS 16.6.1, iPadOS 16.6.1, and macOS Ventura 13.5.2 to address the newly identified vulnerabilities. The update secures holes that could have been exploited by attackers, allowing them to deploy malware, spyware, and potentially compromise Wallets, leading to device control or data loss.
Which Apple Products Are Affected?
These Apple products should be updated immediately:
- Any Mac running macOS Ventura
- iPhone 8 and later
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad Air third generation and later
- iPad fifth generation and later
- iPad mini fifth generation and later
Weller Group is located at 6206 Slocum Road, Ontario, NY 14519 and can be reached at 315-524-8000. Securities and Advisory Services offered through Commonwealth Financial Network®, Member FINRA/SIPC, a Registered Investment Adviser. Fixed insurance products and services are separate from and not offered through Commonwealth Financial Network.