Presented by Weller Group
On October 21, 2022, the Internal Revenue Service released Notice 2022-55, announcing cost-of- living adjustments that affect contribution limits for retirement plans and retirement accounts in 2023. The list below, though not exhaustive, highlights key changes that retirement plan sponsors should be aware of, as well as several limitations that remain unchanged from 2022:
- The elective deferral limit will increase from $20,500 to $22,500.
- The catch-up contribution limit for employees ages 50 and older will increase from $6,500 to $7,500.
- The aggregate contribution limit for defined contribution plans will increase from $61,000 to $66,000.
- The annual compensation limit will increase from $305,000 to $330,000.
- The limitation on the annual benefit under a defined benefit will increase from $245,000 to $265,000. (For a participant who separated from service before January 1, 2023, the limitation for defined benefit plans under Section 415(b)(1)(B) can be computed by multiplying the participant’s compensation limitation, as adjusted through 2022, by 1.0833.)
- The dollar limit used in the definition of “key employee” in a top-heavy retirement plan will increase from $200,000 to $215,000, and the dollar limit used in the definition of “highly compensated employee” will increase from $135,000 to $150,000.
The following table displays 2022 and 2023 limits for a host of tax breaks:
401(k) Plan Limits for Plan Year
401(k) elective deferral limit1
Defined contribution dollar limit
Highly compensated employee income limit
Key employee officer limit
403(b) elective deferral limit1
Defined benefit dollar limit
457 employee deferral limit
SEP and SIMPLE IRA Limits
SEP minimum compensation
SEP maximum compensation
SIMPLE contribution limit
SIMPLE catch-up contribution2
IRA and Roth Limits
IRA and Roth contribution limit
1Employee deferrals to all 401(k) and 403(b) plans must be aggregated for purposes of this limit.
2Contributors must be age 50 or older during the calendar year.
3All compensation from a single employer (including all members of a controlled group) must be aggregated for purposes of this limit.
This material has been provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute either tax or legal advice. Investors should consult a tax preparer, professional tax advisor, and/or a lawyer.
Weller Group is located at 6206 Slocum Road, Ontario, NY 14519 and can be reached at 315-524-8000. Securities and Advisory Services offered through Commonwealth Financial Network®, Member FINRA/SIPC, a Registered Investment Adviser. Fixed insurance products and services are separate from and not offered through Commonwealth Financial Network.
© 2022 Commonwealth Financial Network®