Immediate Action Recommended: Apple Identifies Two Critical Security Vulnerabilities
Presented by Weller Group
Apple has identified two critical vulnerabilities associated with its products. The vulnerabilities have been classified as severe; attackers could gain complete access to user devices. Owners of Apple devices (whether for work or personal use) should immediately update them.
What Do I Need to Do?
Apple and the Information Security team at Commonwealth Financial Network®, the firm we partner with to better serve you, recommend that users immediately install the emergency security update on all Apple devices (e.g., iPhones, iPads, and Macs). Here’s what to do:
• On an iPhone or iPad. Manually check for iOS 15.6.1 and iPadOS 15.6.1 by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. Tap to install the update.
• On macOS devices. Navigate to the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and select System Preferences > Software Update > Upgrade Now.
Until the security update is installed across all devices, be cognizant of any sites you’ve visited and any downloads you’ve made.
As always, follow these standard recommendations:
• Don’t download, accept, or execute files from untrusted sources.
• Don’t visit untrusted websites or follow links provide by untrusted sources.
• Evaluate read, write, and execute permissions on any newly installed software or applications.
• Ensure that you immediately install updates on your Apple devices.
Apple released two separate software updates to macOS (MacBooks) and iOS (iPhones and iPads) to address two critical vulnerabilities that could allow threat actors to completely access devices. Apple has released iOS 15.6.1, iPadOS 15.6.1, and macOS Monterey 12.5.1, addressing the two newly identified vulnerabilities. The update secures holes that could have been exploited by attackers, allowing them to control an affected device or process maliciously crafted web content, leading to data corruption, device crashes, or device infection.
Which Apple Products Are Affected?
These Apple products should be updated immediately:
• Macs running macOS Monterey
• iPhone 6s and later
• iPad Pro (all models)
• iPad Air 2 and later
• iPad 5th generation and later
iPad mini 4 and later
• iPod touch 7th generation
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 315-524-8000.
Weller Group is located at 6206 Slocum Road, Ontario, NY 14519 and can be reached at 315-524-8000. Securities and Advisory Services offered through Commonwealth Financial Network®, Member FINRA/SIPC, a Registered Investment Adviser. Fixed insurance products and services are separate from and not offered through Commonwealth Financial Network.